Working parents with school-aged children can sometimes view summer time as a stressful time – what are the kids going to do while you are working? We encourage families to utilize their local community organizations that offer affordable, summer programs / camps for school-aged children (YMCA, junior league, volunteer opportunities). In the event that your children are going to be staying home this summer while you are working, ZisBoomBah wants to make sure that your children are encouraged and equipped to make healthy snacking decisions this summer!
Below are tips to ensure that your child makes healthy food choices this summer:
- Stock your refrigerator and pantry with healthy snacks
- In your refrigerator, place 3 colored boxes that your children get to manage and choose foods from:
- Box 1 – Fruit – place sliced fruit in this box. Your child’s fist is the size of one serving
- Box 2 – Vegetables – place sliced vegetables in this box. Your child’s fist is the size of one serving
- Box 3 – Protein/Grains – place nuts/nut butter, cheese, cooked meat/fish, yogurt, bagels, cooked rice, wraps, cream cheese in this box.
- Your child can pick one item from each box to make a healthy snack / meal!
- Additionally, in your freezer, place all fruit Popsicle where your children can reach them
- In your pantry, place 3 colored boxes that your children get to manage and choose foods from:
- Box 1 – daily – whoel grain products (breads and oatmeal), nuts, nut butters, raisins, dried fruits, 100% juice packs
- Box 2 – several times a week – this box should contain snack bars, crackers, and quick breads
- Box 3 – once every other week – this box should contain high sugar cookies, candy, cereals, and high salt chips. This box can be eliminated all together if you want your children to avoid the temptation of seeing this box
Your children will enjoy having their own space in the pantry and refrigerator that they can manage and create healthy snacks and meals from while you are at work!
Plan ahead! Search ZisBoomBah’s ‘quick snacks’ and ‘healthy meals’ under the Parent’s Section for recipes that you can prepare ahead with your children for them to enjoy throughout the day. Equipping your children with a healthy stocked refrigerator and pantry will help them make healthy decisions throughout the day while you are working!
ZisBoomBah offers books for helping you to organize and set up your refrigerator and pantry to encourage healthier eating habits. Look for ‘Take Control of Your Pantry‘ and ‘Take Control of Your Refrigerator and Freezer‘ under Books in our shop!